Keeping your car beautiful and protected is important when you’re a car owner. Your car is an extension of you and you want to make sure that it reflects that. One of the best ways to ensure that the paint stays protected and new is by using a protective shielding.
The History of Protective Shielding
Today’s automotive paint protection film was first developed to be used in military applications during the Vietnam War. The United States Department of Defense was looking for solutions to problems they were facing with the rotor blades of their helicopters and to protect sensitive military equipment from being damaged by debris and shrapnel. The Department of Defense reached out to the 3M Company to develop a transparent and lightweight protective shield for them.
3M’s solution to the Department of Defense’s problems was creating a urethane film. This early version of the protective shield was very dull with no sparkle or shine to it. And it worked! The film protected what it was applied to and even helped to remove damage caused by rock chips, UV rays, and general wear and tear.
Over the years the protective shielding has evolved, and today the film is made out of high-quality thermoplastic urethane. The film is available in clear or in a variety of colors, depending on what you’re looking for. There are also levels of thickness you can choose from. And the best part? It can be applied to the painted surfaces of a new or used vehicle.
The film will provide your paint with protection from mineral deposits, bird droppings, splatter from dead bugs, and so much more. The urethane that makes up the film is also highly resistant to corrosion and acidic contaminants. It can also help protect your paint from UV light damage and reduce oxidation.
Is Protective Shielding Worth It?
You may be wondering if protective shielding is worth the price. And it is in many cases. Here are a few reasons why you should consider getting it installed on your vehicle.
- Your Car is Important to You – You may see your car as more than just a mode of transportation. You are very thoughtful about how you take care of your car and put in the extra time to make sure it’s always looking its best. You love the way it looks and you want to keep it in the best shape you possibly can.
- You Want to Sell It in the Future – When you sell your car, you want to make the most money you can from it. Getting protective shielding on your car is a great way to help keep the value up– plus you won’t have to worry about cashing out money to have it repainted later.
- You Drive A Lot – If you’re the kind of person who drives their car a lot, you should definitely invest in protective shielding. It’s so easy for other cars and trucks on the road to kick up dust and rocks that can wreak havoc on your paint job. Other cars can scratch your doors in parking lots and the sun beating down on your vehicle can cause the paint to oxidize, changing the color and aging it.
- You Don’t Have a Garage – Many people don’t have a garage for their cars and will often park it outside. Protective shielding can help save your car from UV damage as well as natural debris from birds, squirrels, and leaves, and acorns.
- You Don’t Have A Lot of Time to Keep Up with Washing and Waxing Your Car – You’re a very busy person and it can be hard to keep up with washing your car and getting it waxed. Protective shielding can help with that. It can help keep your car looking shiny while also protecting your paint from the elements and corrosive minerals, like road salt.
Getting protective shielding on your car is a great investment if you want to keep your car looking great for years to come.
Protect Your Car Windows with Simply Cool
At Simply Cool we are window tint specialists. We know how important protecting your vehicle is. Our auto tinting can help protect your car’s interior from the heat while retaining warmth during the winter. If you are ever in a car accident the safety window film helps to prevent shattered glass.